Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Running in San Francisco

I'm still a tourist in the city I live in. I am in awe of everything the city has to offer. I stare up at the tall buildings in the Financial District wondering what people in their that late at night are doing. The sight of either the Bay Bridge or the Golden Gate brings a smile to my face. And the best thing, I'm training in the middle of it all...

This past Saturday was my first run with my coach and the team. We ran in the
Presidio District, running towards the Golden Gate bridge and back to the starting point at the Sports Basement. That morning, it was chilly and drizzly, the ocean was that crazy color in between gray and blue, churning away. We started the morning with a helpful "Chi running" course. Our instructor, Hazel, runs marathons all the time and recently completed a 50-miler. Wow. After the course, we began our run. I ran a full 3 miles, and with all the helpful training, I felt good about it. My legs moved with ease, I was breathing deeply and not even thinking about the run, more so enjoying the sites and sounds around me. I crossed off an San Francisco "thing to do" and touched Hopper's Hands. Awesomeness.



And to finish my run out, on my last mile, the sun came out and the rain stopped. When we finished the run, our coaches/mentors/manager had set up a wonderful breakfast buffet for the runners to refuel. It was a fantastic way to start a Saturday.


Last night, I ran down the Embarcadero in downtown San Francisco - starting near Pier 23 and ran all the way to the AT&T Ballpark and back. It was roughly about 4.5 miles. Again, the run was amazing. My legs were moving with ease, and I was incorporating all of the Chi running lessons from Saturday. I was running right alongside the Oakland Bay Bridge close enough to see the cars moving and being stuck in traffic. Not me, I wasn't stuck anywhere, but moving breezily along the Embarcadero. One side of me, the Port of San Francisco, the other side, the bustling Financial District.
So, after two training runs, I'm feeling good about this. Although, last night, at about 3AM, I had some major cramps in my quads and had to down some Advil. I'll be keeping some bananas around the next time that happens. All-in-all, I feel good and am glad I joined this event.

posted by ma | 11:32 AM | 0 comments