Monday, March 17, 2008

Marathon Update

In between working,training, and getting engaged...I've barely had a moment to update this blog, and apologies for that. So here we go:

-Two weeks ago, on one of my Saturday runs up in Marin; I ran through the town of Sausalito and back to Mill Valley Elementary school for a total of 8 miles! Yes, that's more than halfway to my goal of 13.1 miles, so I'm feeling really good about the half-marathon. I'll admit, the first 5-6 miles was fairly okay, and around mile 7ish, my legs started slowly petering out, but with a little practice, I should be comfortable running 8 miles in no time.
-My "comfort level" of running at this point is between 4 - 6 miles. When training started, I was huffing and puffing around 3 miles, so that's more than double the distance, in less than 2 months.
-Fundraising - I'm at a whopping almost $3,000 as of this morning! So many wonderful people have been donating and for those of you still wanting to donate, don't wait! And please don't be unnerved by some of the large amounts of money, those folks are family and they are required to donate that much (haha...) Every little bit counts. Donate
here.
-Schedule:

  • Monday nights: Buddy run with my teammates The Embarcadero - we run either towards the ball park and back or down the other directions towards Fisherman's Wharf/Ghiradelli Square
  • Tuesdays and Wednesdays are on my own for cross training - I try and get to the gym in the morning to do some elliptical or try to walk a lot those days around the city
  • Thursdays - coached work out at Kezar Stadium; the coaches put together a series of track work outs for us
  • Friday - DAY OFF!!! - I'm usually sleeping by 10P
  • Saturday - team run all around SF/Marin
  • Sunday - run on my own


-Places that have felt my pounding of my feet on Saturdays:

  • 2 February: Sports Basement @ Presidio
  • 9 February: Blackie's Pasture
  • 16 February: Beach Chalet/Land's End Trail - we saw Robin William's pink house that day
  • 23 February: Ferry Builiding/Embarcadero - ran out past the PacBell and also the day I got engaged!
  • 1 March: Mill Valley - ran through the town of Sausalito
  • 8 March: Tennesse Valley; ran all the way down to Stinson Beach and tackled a very big hill that day
  • 15 March: I ran on my own that day, so I ran down the Embarcadero, through Fisherman's Wharf and then finished it off with a climb up the stairs to Coit Tower

So, that's what I've been up to so far to this point...

Thank you to everyone that has been following this blog, sending me e-mails, calling me, and otherwise personally encouraging me every step of the way. A special thanks to all the family friends last night that listened to my schpeal while they were trying to enjoy either the birthday cake (at Party 1) or the pizza (at Party 2).


Look out for a post soon on my "connection with the cause." So far I've been blogging about what I've been doing, my runs, the places, etc... I will be posting about the special individual that is the reason for all this effort.



Thank you again for keeping up with me... a little over 3 months to go!

Running at Beach Chalet


posted by ma | 11:14 AM | 2 comments