Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Distance running

The marathon is less than a month a way and I cannot wait to cross that finish line! I've reached my fundraising goal, I'm steadily training on my own and I'm flying Virgin to San Diego (so excited about that one!).

Fundraising - now at $5,253! That's a lot of money and thank you to all those that donated! There is still time, so if you want to donate, please do here: http://www.active.com/donate/tntgsf/marathonmegs.

Training - with a busy work schedule, it's been hard to get to all the team trainings, which I really enjoy; so I've been training on my own. It's a bit weird, not having a coach there or other people to run with, but I've been good about getting out there, pounding the pavement and finding places to run in the city.

My favorite area to run is on The Embarcadero. I feel as though the folks that were building San Francisco all those years ago thought, "hmmm... we need San Francisco to be a healthy city, so let's figure out a place for these individuals to run..." and built the beautiful 4.5 mile long Embaracadero. And while running on it, there are so many sites to see. Starting at the ballpark in SOMA, one runs by tall buildings, the Bay Bridge, the Ferry Building, Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, and if you push yourself a little further, you go up the Fort Mason Hill and bam, you are in the Marina. Yesterday I pushed myself hella far and went from the ballpark all the way to Crissy Field. Ran for about 2 hours. Yeah, long. In my head, I was doing the mileage math and figured I ran about 8, at most, 9 miles... I looked it up today and guess what? I ran 11. Yes, 11, 2 miles way from my goal for the 1/2 marathon. 11 miles! I'm pretty excited that I accomplished that on my own. I'm sore today, but I feel good and so happy that I cracked the 10 mile mark.
Here is my route:
















posted by ma | 10:02 AM | 2 comments